Monday, October 31, 2016

Reading Notes: Nine Ideal Indian Women, Part A

Week 11 already! I chose to read Sunity Devee’s Nine Ideal Indian Women this week, trying to get an idea of how to wrap up my storybook this semester.  The second half of this reading talks about Sati, the first wife of Shiva, which I’m hoping will help me write my last story.  However, I decided to go ahead and read the entire unit, which starts with Savitri and Damayanti. 


I really enjoyed the stories of these two Indian women.  They are women of strength and keen intelligence, which is often lacking in modern literature, at least without coming off as some sort of cliché or appeasement.  I really like that the stories focus on them and their power over their fates.  If I were still writing a storybook about Charlotte Grimm, I would probably incorporate one of these, but they don’t quite work with John’s storyline.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the readings this week so I can hopefully find something to use in my storybook!

Bibliography: Nine Ideal Indian Womeno by Sunity Devee (1919), Internet Archive.

Image Info: Savitri. Source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment