Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Reading Notes: Nine Ideal Indian Women, Part B


Well, it turns out that this was not the wife of Siva (Shiva) that I was wanting to write my storybook about.  This was about Sati, who was mortal born and prayed to Shiva from childhood to become his wife.  She lived in poverty alongside him and died due to her father’s pig-headedness.  Or goat-headedness as the case may be. 

Clearly I need to do a little more research into the relationship between Shiva and Kali, since I assumed consort meant wife, which does not appear to be the case.  I know I’ve read about Kali and Shiva earlier in the semester, but I’ll have to find the particular reading now.  Wish me luck!

Bibliography: Nine Ideal Indian Women by Sunity Devee (1919), Internet Archive.

Image Info: Sati and Shiva. Source: Wikimedia Commons 

No comments:

Post a Comment