Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Storytelling: Tempted by Darkness


I really wish I wasn’t married to this buffoon. Brihaspati is nice and all, but he’s a little old and incredibly boring.  All he ever does is come up with lessons to teach the gods.  I mean, it IS his job, but come on! Can’t we go on an adventure or vacation every once and a while?! All the other celestial beings do…

This was my running mental tirade almost every single day until a Dánava named Shoma waltzed into my life.  I honestly think it was the best day of my life, even though I’m sure my husband didn’t exactly have the same view on the matter.  You see, Shoma was a demon.  A handsome, charming, chivalrous, and exciting demon, but a demon nonetheless. The gods had been at war with the demons for as long as any of them can remember, although they don’t exactly know why or how the war started.  The reasons have been lost to memory. 

I’m sure my husband and the other gods and celestial beings believe that I was enticed away to the kingdom of darkness, but that wasn’t exactly what happened.  Shoma approached me one day while I was sitting in one of the many groves of trees that are found around the heavens.  It was a beautiful grove, with big, shady trees to block the heat of the sun, brightly colored flowers perfuming the cool air, and a broad, cushioned bench to recline on.  Usually, no one comes near the grove when I’m in there, or anywhere else for that reason.  I have a bit of a bitchy resting face, which is part of the problem. The rest comes from the fact that I’m not like everyone else up there, content to sit around every day and just enjoy the life that we have in the heavens.  It’s boring!


Shoma was different.  He came up to me and started to talk, asking why I was alone and why I seemed so sad.  Honestly, he was the first person to really show an interest in me.  I was a little starved for attention up here, since my husband was always teaching and everyone else avoided me.  It was nice to just have a conversation with someone.  Of course, I knew he was a demon, but I didn’t really care.  You see, no one knew it, but I had the ability to see people’s true nature.  Yes, Shoma was a demon on a mission to sway me, but he became truly interested in me as a person while we talked.  It was amazing!

To be completely honest, when he asked me to go with him to the darkness (which is really just the world outside of the heavens) I didn’t even hesitate to say yes.  I was just so excited to get away from the people who shunned me and to meet new people and have some adventures!

Since that day, I’ve been living with Shoma in the darkness, fighting the people I’d once lived among and generally just having fun! It was fun being with the demons. They didn’t really care what others thought and were always willing to try some new adventure.  From their viewpoint, the gods were selfish, keeping the heavens and immortality and all the good of the world for themselves.  They wouldn’t even give the demons the opportunity to work their way into the heavens.  The demons fought for every bit of clean water, hot food, and the smallest bits of happiness that they could find.
 
I helped them with a lot of that, showing them places to find clean water outside of the heavens.  I honestly think that I can help them make a life worth living outside of heaven, provided the gods let them.  Every time I make a little headway, the gods ruin everything that I’ve built up.  Clean water system, blown apart.  Warming ovens, brought to ruins. Hunting equipment, stolen.  Good hunting grounds, all the animals disappear.  I’m hoping that Shoma and I can work out some sort of peace treaty between the gods and demons.  It’s the only way that everyone will actually be able to live in peace, once and for all.


Author’s Note:
I decided to write a part of Dutt’s Tales of India that was only alluded to with a single sentence.  The sentence is: “The wicked Danava tempted her to the path of sin; she fell; and she was enticed away to the kingdom of darkness” (p.8).  ‘She’ is the wife of Brihaspati, the Perceptor or teacher to the gods.  It is really the only time that she is mentioned and I was very curious as to how and why she would be tempted to ‘the darkside.’  Persephone and Hades were the first thing that came to mind and I kind of derived my story from that idea.  While she doesn’t exactly become the Queen of the Underworld, she still has a significant effect on it.  I also thought that it would be interesting to see the life on the other side of the curtain.  We always get to read about how the demons are evil and the gods are in a constant war against them because they are so evil, but what do the demons think? Anyway, that’s where my idea came from. It’s not much to go on since I derived it from one sentence in the entire story!


Bibliography: Gleanings from Indian Classics, Volume 1: Tales of India by Manmatha Nath Dutt (1893), Internet Archive. 

Image Info: Brihaspati. Source: Wikimedia Commons; Tree Grove. Source: Wikipedia

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your story Michaela! This was a very entertaining read. I think this was a very creative idea and it reminded me in part to the Bible when Eve is tempted by the serpent in the Garden of Eden. Overall this story was extremely well written however, I would have like to see more detail regarding what caused Shoma to be so different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All of this is from one sentence? I really like this interpretation of the demons and Shoma. There are two sides to every story, so it was time that someone gave the demons their time in the limelight. This is well written but I was confused about one aspect of Shoma's character. You say that she is craving adventure, but then she is also "just content to sit around in the heavens". It is by no means a huge flaw in your story, only something to pay attention to next time you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan. Thanks for the input. It does say that she's not like everyone else who are just content to sit around. Although, re-reading it, it doesn't quite sound like she doesn't want to be doing that, but I'm not sure how to rephrase it to get that point across!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your writing throughout this piece. Sometimes these pieces can get hard to read because of how formal it is and I felt like you made it seem like she was talking to the reader directly. Overall a good job! Write more on this or a sequel if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really entertaining read; it's so cool that you came up with this just from one sentence that really stood out to you, so props for that kind of creativity. I like the angle you took with Persephone and Hades, because as I read this, that's kind of what came to mind. Of course, here she went with him willingly and Persephone was abducted, but both of them make the best of the circumstances and take an active role. Good job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really great! I can't believe you came up with an entire story just from one small sentence! That is amazing! Great job! I really did enjoy the story and I wish there would be a continuation or a second part to this story. Please do let me know if you choose to write one! I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative. I really enjoyed that! The wife of a god with "resting bitch face" and the truly considerate demon make for great characters. I like how you make "darkness" (really just anything outside of heaven) sound appealing; after all, isn't earth itself in that category? I sure wouldn't mind hearing how the conflict between gods and demons is resolved (and where, or if, humans come into the mix at all.) Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an interesting take on things! I haven't read Dutt's Tale but I feel like we're so used to seeing the good and the bad that theres not room for anything else. I love how the gods were basically seen as the villains in this story. I realized that just because their in heaven doesn't mean they're all that nice. You did a really great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this story! I love the light-hearted approach that you took to your writing. Some of my favorite stories that I have read have used this approach. I think I'm going to have to try it! I love that you used the theme of being tempted by another man...or being bored with your current situation. You did a great job. This was so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete