Monday, October 3, 2016

Reading Notes: Kincaid's Krishna of Dwarka Section A

I was really excited to learn about the Mahabharata’s incarnation of Vishnu.  I think it is really interesting that there are always multiple incarnations of him at the same time, such as the four in the Ramayana and the two with Krishna.  I also find it interesting that the gods always have such fantastic and adventurous childhoods.  You’d think that the parents would be pulling their hair out during the entire childhood of the god’s incarnations.  I definitely couldn’t imagine being the mother of Krishna, dealing with him eating all the milk and butter, destroying the cart, and dragging a mortar into the woods because he was bored.  Each to their own, I suppose.


 I enjoyed the first part of this retelling, although I did start to lose interest in the storytelling style towards the end of the section. I just started to get distracted and wasn’t paying as close of attention to the story as I was in the beginning.



Bibliography: Shri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories by CA Kincaid (1920), link to source

Image Info: Krishna. Source: Indian Epics

No comments:

Post a Comment