Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Story Planning: The Final Two

I came up with ideas for my last two stories in my storybook while doing my readings this week. My first idea involves inserting John into the story of Ganesh. Obviously, there are countless renditions of who Ganesh is exactly and how he came to be.  According to the story that I read this week, he is the son of Shiva and is considered the remover of obstacles.  In the story, Ganesh loses his head due to a curse placed on a man, who destroyed anything that he gazed upon.  As a result, Ganesh’s head was chopped off and he died.  Obviously.  However, Shiva told his messengers to go forth and bring back the head of the first living creature they came across, which was an elephant.  I thought it would be great to somehow get John in on this.  I think it would be fun to have Shiva send him out with the other messengers in search of a head to place on Ganesh’s shoulders, and John decides that an elephant head will do fine.  They like elephants in India, right? (John’s logic, not mine, I promise).  Somewhere along here, I’m going to find a logical place for Charlotte to show up, probably towards the end.


Okay, and my second idea for the very last story in my storybook is use the story of Parvati/Kali, the wife of Shiva.  My idea is for her and John to have their awesome reunion, but then have Parvati go and do battle with Raktabija.  I’ve still got time to figure this particular story out, but I want to somehow have Kali go do battle with Raktabija and then use Charlotte in the battle as well while John and Shiva sit on the sidelines and watch, talking about how scary their wives are.  It’ll take some more research and planning, but since it’s my last story, I’ve got plenty of time for that later. 

Bibliography: Tales of Ancient India by Edmund Cox (1887), Hathi Trust
Image Info: Kali. Source: Wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michaela!
    I like the ideas you have for the rest of your storybook stories; I always thought the story of how Ganesha became the elephant-headed god was interesting. I'm a little bit confused about the second story, in which you talk about a reunion. Have John and Parvati met before? Other than that, it seems like you have a good idea of where you're going, and I look forward to reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michaela, I like both of your story options. I personally was more interested in the first one because I think the entire concept in interesting. I've never heard the origin of Ganesh's elephant head, and this is interesting. I would love to see how John would react to Shiva instructing him to go get a head and attach it to Ganesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I'm excited to read this story once you write it! The story of Ganesh is pretty intriguing and I can't wait to see how your characters react to it! It's such a funny thing to happen: to have your head be replaced by an elephant's. I'd really want to see some of Ganesh's thoughts and reactions as well. I wonder if he's still even the same person now, with such a different head?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for you to write your stories! I agree with Joanne, the one about Ganesh is incredibly interesting! I can't imagine how unique the reactions would be! You could also add some comedic elements to it if you choose, and that will make the story even better in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete