Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Reading Notes: Dutt's Tales of India, Section A

I chose to read Manmatha Nath Dutt’s Tales of India for my week 9 readings.  It tells the story of Hindu legends and religious beliefs, more or less, and makes many connections between the Hindu story and the story of Christ.  I always think it is interesting how similar many religions are to one another, if you boil them down to a basic story.  Both Hindu and Christianity tell the story of god’s son ridding the world of evil.  And both stories tell of the battle between heaven and hell, in one way or another. 

There were several parts of this reading that I could use for a story.  One idea came from a simple sentence: “The wicked Danava tempted her to the path of sin; she fell; and she was enticed away to the kingdom of darkness” (p.8). 

My other idea was to expand on the story of Sati/Kali and her battle with the demon kings.  I’ve heard of Kali for years, but it was really interesting to see her story told in a more original format.

Another thought was thought was to try to expand on the description of Sati’s beauty in some way.  It simply says that she was too beautiful to describe, but they didn’t even try!

Yet another idea was to write about the “thousand and one means to kill the young prince” Prahlada. I think it would be fun (and funny) to write increasingly unbelievable attempts to kill Prahlada.  It would be a fun mental and creative challenge, I think.


I have also considered using the tale of Shiva and Sita as part of my storybook.  I think it would be interesting to include a female hero in the story.  I could write about her attempts to defeat the demon kings, or something along those lines. 


Bibliography: Gleanings from Indian Classics, Volume 1: Tales of India by Manmatha Nath Dutt (1893), Internet Archive

Image Info: Kali. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment