Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Story: Twenty-One Days

Twenty-one days, fourteen hours, and twenty-three minutes. That is how long our husbands had been fighting.  I honestly don’t even know why they were fighting.  It’s not like there was any real reason for it.

You see, we were a rich family.  My husband wasn’t a king or anything, but he was a bear of a man who had amassed a fortune working for a variety of uppity-ups in the world.  He got paid the big bucks because he was good at his job and his clients always felt safe in his care.  However, his most important client and job was always that of the protector and father of our child.  On one of his recent jobs, he found a fun little toy to bring back to our son.  It sort of resembled a big jewel, but it emitted a little light that I’m sure will eventually run out battery. 


Anyway, our son loved his new toy and was playing with it constantly.  Our nanny had even come up with a fun little rhyme to sing while playing: "Baby Bear! Baby Bear! The jewel is yours to keep and wear. For he who would take the lovely thing must first fight Daddy, the great Bear King!" Our son always called my husband the Bear King instead of Daddy because we told him that the Bear King could scare away the monsters in his closet.  Unfortunately, the name stuck. However, twenty-one days ago, our son was playing with his new toy while the nanny kept an eye on him when some man came bursting into the house and demanded that we hand the toy over.  What would a grown man want with a child’s toy?

The scream of our nanny sent my husband running out of the kitchen where we had been preparing dinner and I was hot on his heels.  He went bursting into the living room and immediately rushed the other man.  The other man swung his fist and struck my husband across the jaw, but he merely shrugged it off and tackled the man. The two men locked together in an intense struggle, both wrestling to get the upper hand.  My husband beat the other man senseless, but apparently that wasn’t the end of it.  After he threw the man (I have since learned that his name was Kris) out of our house, they began a sort of street war, constantly attacking each other to actually win the ‘war’. 

I recently met Kris’s girlfriend, who is actually a very lovely young lady.  We have gotten to know one another over the past twenty-one days while our husbands have been fighting.  Thankfully, there haven’t been any casualties so far.  Anyway, she told me that the jewel was a sort of obsession of her boyfriends, although she didn’t know why.  Something about a sun god or something?


We’re working on trying to end this war ourselves, so we can get back to our normal lives.  We’re both tired of the bodyguards following us everywhere and the various kidnapping attempts.  I mean really, who has the time for it anymore?  I’m thinking some sort of intervention could work.  Or I just give the stupid toy to Kris and we forget any of this ever happened.  Honestly, my husband can find him another toy. Hopefully not one that has anything to do with a sun god. 


Author's Note:
I decided to go a different direction with this story and tried to put it in a more modern context and tell it from a different perspective at the same time.  I rewrote the story of Krishna trying to find the Syamantaka Jewel, which belonged to the Sun God.  In the original story, the jewel trades hands (by the death of its possessor) several times before ending up in the hands of Jambavat, the Bear King.  When Krishna goes in search of the jewel, he finds it with the son of Jambavat and the nurse alerts the king of Krishna's presence.  Anyway, all you get is that they fight for twenty-one days, Jambavat surrenders from exhaustion, and Krishna gets the jewel.  I like my version better!

Bibliography: Chapter Eight. Shri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories by C. A. Kincaid (1920), Indian Epics.

Image Information: Beryl. Source: Wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. You did a great job changing this story to a modern day setting. The way you changed the names (and specifically the way you gave a back story to the "Bear King" name) was creative and a good way to tie the story together. I enjoyed reading the present day adaptation. I also like how you told the story from the Bear King's wife's perspective. It was funny how she was kind of over it all and becoming friends with "the enemy's" wife. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading the modern twist on this part of the story! I agree with McKenzie, I really enjoyed how changed up the names. I always enjoy reading your stories and this story is definitely no exception. Great job! I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm with you--twenty-one days is a lot of time to skip over, and definitely a long time to be fighting. I like how the "war" is secondary, an interruption in a beautiful family life that your narrator doesn't care to get too involved in. (It must be tiresome, living with warriors like that...)
    Favorite line: "it emitted a little light that I'm sure will eventually run out of battery."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this story before, and I really like your interpretation! You did a really good job of explaining the backstory in your author's note but even without it, it was pretty easy to follow the story. I like how the two wives got to know each other even as their husbands were fighting! It's nice to see that they get along at least, and I also like your take that the wife made the bear king give back the toy. Honestly I agree, not worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete