Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Story: Just Another Day, Lake Edition

It was just another day in the lake.  I was just swimming along, looking for some little froggy things to eat.  I had just been bubbled by one of my friends who knew a relative of mine in the ocean.  My cousin-fish had an interesting story to bubble.  He had just been swimming around, looking for some ocean-froggies to eat when these silver fish started swimming by, and hurting some of the other fish.  After a few of these fish went by, he claims that the ocean god rose up out of the darkness below him and went up to the light.  After a little while, the god went swimming back by.  I’m not sure if I believe him.  Admittedly, there isn’t much of a darkness here in the lake that a giant fish-god could swim out of.  I’ve been bubbled that the ocean is a lot bigger, but I just don’t know.


Anyway, it was just another day in the lake.  I was just swimming along, looking for some little froggy things to eat. After my friend finished bubbling me the story, he went swimming off to look for some of his own little froggy frogs to eat.  I had just found a really tasty little grouping of the froggy frogs and was getting ready to nibble on them when a giant fish-thing landed right next to me and swept all the froggy frogs away! How rude!

Now, we had some interesting looking fishies that came into the lake from time to time.  There were several fish that always seemed to come in sets of four.  Big gray ones that came with a long skinny grey one, brown and black skinny ones that had a round, hard head, and other skinny ones of different colors that had four little heads.  They all seemed to swim straight down with their heads buried in the sand, would squirm around a bit, and then disappear.  Strange little fishies. 

However, this fishie was really big, with two odd shaped fins and two tails! I had never seen a fishie with two tails before! They still didn’t look really helpful for swimming, especially with how many chunky scales the fishie had.  Then again, it didn’t really do much swimming.  It just kind of settled on the bottom and didn’t move.  Occasionally it would twitch a little bit, but that was it.  It was there for a full turn of light and dark, but it still didn’t move.  I thought that maybe it was dead.  That was the only time I had ever seen a fishie not moving like that.  I tried bubbling at it, trying to figure out where it had come from and why it wasn’t moving, but the fishie just ignored me.  When I tried to swim up to it, it finally moved enough to push me away, which I thought was rude. 

After a while, it finally swam upwards with a great crashing and splashing.  It scared all the froggies in the lake away with all the waves that it was making. How inconsiderate! It stuck its two tails down into the sand and just stayed there for a bit.  I could have caught several froggies in the time it was sticking its head out of the water, if there had been any froggie frogs nearby.  It finally hopped towards the shallow area of the lake and then just disappeared altogether. 

It kind of reminded me of that story my friend had bubbled to me about my ocean-cousin.  Did I tell you about the time that he met the ocean-god? It had just been another day in the ocean.  My cousin-fish was just swimming along, looking for some ocean-froggies to eat…


Author’s Note:
I chose to expand on the story of Duryodhana in the Lake, at least in regards to the time that he spent in the lake.  It reminded me of the story that I had written about Rama when he shot arrows into the ocean and how a certain fish had experienced that particular part of the story.  As I was reading this story, I immediately thought of how this would look to a different fish.  I really enjoyed writing the original story and thought it would be fun to put a little different twist on it.  It allowed me to kind of channel my inner child and just write a light hearted, easy-to-read story. 

In the original, Duryodhana is hiding from the Pandava army and he could remain underwater for as long as he desired. Clearly the lake was the only place to hide! He stayed under the water until Bhima found him and then they fought on the land.

Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). PDE Mahabharata.


Image Info: Northern Pike. Source: Wikipedia; 

No comments:

Post a Comment