Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Story: The Power of Sita

It felt like I’d spent years sitting in that grove of trees waiting for Rama. I know it had at least been a few months since Ravan believed he kidnapped me and took me to that stupid island. Everyone always told me that islands were fun and full of sun and cocktails, but not that island.  Well, not for me anyway. All I did was sit in a stupid grove and wait for Ravan to come with his horde of demon-women to make another proposition to me.  Honestly, any woman, demon or human, stupid enough to say yes to this ridiculous man deserved everything they had coming when my Rama finally showed up. 

Now, I’m sure you’re thinking, ‘well you’re the one who got kidnapped for being stupid and won’t even try to free yourself, so you deserve this situation too!’  That’s where you’re wrong.  I actually chose to be here.  You see, it was my destiny.  When I was a young girl, the gods came to me and told me that I would marry a man who was destined to save the world from the evil Ravan.  They told me that the man would be exiled from his home and that I would have to go with him.  They told me that there would be trials along the way, some involving me, that would test his strength and resilience so they would know when he was ready to face Ravan.  They told me that I would have to essentially orchestrate my own kidnapping by Ravan so that Rama would come to rescue me and finally vanquish the demon. Just before they left, they gave me certain powers that would ensure that I could follow these directions without getting myself killed in the process.  They gave me powers of persuasion and knowledge of how to defend myself, should the need arise. 


 Anyway, so there I was, sitting on my bench in the grove, when Ravan came walking through the gate yet again.  In that squeaky, annoying little voice of his he said, “Once again, lady, I ask you if you will become my queen.”  Why the most powerful of all the demons has such a pathetic voice is beyond me. 

Just like every other time he had come to me, I simply replied “Never.”  Like usual, he tried to convince me that, even though I would be one of a hundred women in his harem, I would be his ‘queen above all his other queens’. How pathetic does that sound? ‘Sure, I’ll become your queen if I’m above all these other women, but you’ll still go around sleeping with them.’  Think again!

However, after our usual little exchange, he finally surprised me.  He told me that Rama would not come to save me because I was going to die.  To be honest, the threat itself wasn’t really what surprised me.  It was just the fact that he actually had the balls to say it to my face.  Not to mention, I didn’t think he would want to get his little manicured hands dirty with the blood of a woman.  But hey, to each their own right? He even went to the effort of raising his blue-steel scimitar, ‘preparing’ to kill me, like he ever could. 


With as much sarcasm and derogation as I could muster, and I could muster a lot at this point, I said, “Yes Ravan, kill me and rid me of my sorrow.” The sorrow of having to look at his ugly face every day.  Just to be safe, I broke out those powers of persuasion that the gods had given me.  To be honest, it was the first time that I’d ever really used them.  I’d always been able to get out of the tricky situations myself before, but I needed to be sure this time.  I let the power rise in me, and he immediately lowered his weapon and walked away muttering.  And they say women are the weaker sex.  I hadn’t even used a fraction of the power that the gods had given me.  It had taken more effort to get Rama to chase after that damn golden deer that had led to this mess in the first place…


Author’s Note:

I chose to rewrite a very small part of The Divine Archer’s Section VII.  The part is less than a page long and is simply telling of when Hanuman found Sita in the asoka tree grove and witnessed Ravan coming in to ask her to be his queen yet again.  When she defies him and he threatens to kill her, it says she stays his hand with the ‘power in her eyes’.  I thought it would be fun to give Sita more control and power in this version of the Ramayana.  She’s kind of just a background player throughout the epic, just being the reason for certain things happening or an accent to the story line. I wanted to have Sita have a significant role in Rama’s destiny, so I made it so she basically orchestrates it.  The gods tell her how it’s supposed to go down, but she uses her wits and skills to ensure everything goes as planned.  I also thought that even though she was given these powers by the gods, that it would be cooler if she had never really needed to use them.  She’s just that good. 

Bibliography: F.J. Gould, The Divine Archer, link

Image Information: Ravana and Sita. Source: Wikimedia Commons

3 comments:

  1. Female Power! She doesn't even really have to utilize her powers that much, she's "just that good." - HA! I knew immediately what part of the story you were retelling, but I quickly settled into the enjoyment of reading your version of that part of the story. You stayed fairly true to the story, just embelleshed Sita, like you said, to make it more interesting, which it certainly did! I would have loved to have heard you expand even further on these powers of persuasion that the gods gifted her to protect herself.... But I did enjoy the barb that she had to use more persuasiveness to get Rama to follow the golden deer than she had to use to stay Ravan's hand! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a change in her character and very refreshing from what I have been reading in the stories. It is really great to see that Sita had some sort of power to protect herself and that she was just following instructions from the gods so that Ravan could finally be killed. Although I do not understand why it had to be Ram that killed him and no one else. I wonder what would have happened if someone else like sita killed him and how that dynamic would change. It was really interesting to read about how Sita knew what she was doing and instead of just crying in her sorrows, she was actually just bored and waiting for ram to come and kill ravan like the gods had said he would. I really enjoyed the part where she actually had to basically stage her own kidnapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how much power Sita has been given this week. Nearly every story has been from her perspective and I love it. "And they say women are the weaker sex. I hadn't even used a fraction of the power that the God's had given me." I thought about her endowed power when I was reading the Ramayana and wonder why she hadn't been using it. I like how you rationalized it in your text as if she knew how the story was supposed to go. She almost sacrifices her pleasure for the greater good, which is actually really effective story structure. Well done!

    (I also loved, "Why the most powerful of all the demons has such a pathetic voice is beyond me". I thought that flowed so humorously!)

    ReplyDelete