Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Reading Notes: PDE Mahabharata, Section D

I feel bad constantly comparing the Mahabharata to the Ramayana, but it is the only comparison that I can really make at this time.  While reading the Ramayana, I wanted more detail about the fighting and the war that Rama brought to Ravana.  However, in the Mahabharata, I almost think we have too much detail.  It kind of got to the point that I didn’t really care anymore, as long as I could find out how the battle ended.  I got tired of the story because it started to feel repetitive.

I definitely had issues keeping up with characters in this epic as well.  Part of that is probably due to the fact that I had no idea how to pronounce the names, so I just kind of made a sound in my head when reading the name without actually reading it.  Lazy, I know, but it would have taken far too long to figure out how to pronounce all the freaking names that are brought up in this epic. 


I also feel like the ‘conclusion’ was rather drawn out. Everything after the end of the battle just seemed to keep dragging on and on.  Admittedly, part of that was because I was starting to lose interest, which isn’t exactly the fault of the epic.  Overall, I enjoyed the Mahabharata, I just wish it had been a little bit shorter.  




Bibliography: Public Domain Mahabharata, link to source.

Image Information: Yudhishthira's journey to hell. Source: Indian Epics

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michaela! I enjoyed reading your story. It was a very easy read. My favorite part was how you said that the fishes bubbled to indicate that they were talking. At first I had thought it was an error on your part, but then I came to realize what you had meant and it made me chuckle. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete