Monday, September 12, 2016

Reading Notes: The Divine Archer, Part A

I really liked this version of the Ramayana and kind of wished it had been the one that I read first.  Since I have already read the story, I didn’t get to fully appreciate this version.  I kind of started to skim and was annoyed by all the details.  Usually, I like the details that help me envision what is going on, but since I just finished reading the Ramayana, I just wasn’t getting into it.  Overall, I definitely appreciated and preferred this telling of the story.

I did like getting more elaboration on the celestial weapons that Rama was given and on how the battle in the forest went.  I think it could be fun to rewrite the portion about Sita being rude to Lakshmana.  Maybe she’s the one trying to get rid of Rama and his brother!

If I had the choice, I would have read this version of the Ramayana first, and then read a poetry version.  That way, I would have known what the story was, but could have gotten the more dramatic language and whatnot while still having a strong understanding of the story that was being told. 

Parashurma. 

Bibliography: F.J. Gould, The Divine Archer, link

No comments:

Post a Comment