Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: PDE Mahabharata Section A

Finally, the Mahabharata! I feel like I’ve been reading the Ramayana for a really long time at this point, so it was nice to move onto a new story.

The beginning of the Mahabharata was really slow to me, so I didn’t have high hopes for the story overall.  Then again, I’ve read stories that started worse and turned into some of my favorites. I really enjoyed the part when Bhishma captured the princesses for his half-brother. He took on the equivalent of an army of the greatest men and just took the women.  That took some serious guts.
 
I also liked the story of Lady Amba.  She was a woman of courage, to return to her betrothed after being taken from her father.  She was also willing to leave her second home, with nowhere to go, because she was being mistreated.


I really enjoyed this first section of the Mahabharata.  It captured my attention a little faster than the Ramayana, and it had more depth and character than the Ramayana.  I look forward to reading more of this epic!


Image Info: Bhishma at the Swayamvara. Source: Indian Epics

Bibliography: Public Domain Edition Mahabharata, link to source

No comments:

Post a Comment