Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: PDE Section B

The second section of the Ramayana was incredibly slow at parts, at least in my opinion.  Some of the stories were just a little too blah for my taste and I started to skim through sections if I’m being completely honest.  I tended to like the fluidity of the prose versions of the stories, but I really enjoyed the dramatic language of the verse versions.  I think it would be fun to weave the two together in some way.  At the very least, the dramatic language needs to be woven into the prose version. I really liked the story arc from Shurpanakha and Rama to Shurpanakha and Ravana.  Those stories would be fun to rewrite as one arc, maybe incorporating a little bit more trash talk into the fight scene.  I thought it was hilarious that Rama basically tried to set his brother up with a demon woman, but hey what are brothers for right?!



I also learned an awesome new word while I was reading: circumambulate.  If you break down the word it’s easy to figure out what it means, which is to walk all the way around something.  I’m really going to try to work this into a conversation at some point, so wish me luck!

Bibliography: Public Domain Ramayana, link to online source.

Image Info: Rama rejects Shurpanakha; Source: PDE Ramayana

No comments:

Post a Comment