Thursday, August 25, 2016

Epic Reading Options

I have chosen to read the Public Domain version of the Ramayana.  The primary factor that influenced this decision was the accessibility.  While I prefer to read the hard copy of books, I do not want to have to sit in the library to read the book for this class.  I prefer to read it in spurts, rather than sitting down and bulling my way through it in one lump of time. 

I’m actually really excited to learn about everything in this class.  I think it is such an intriguing culture and I think the best way to learn about a culture is through the people and their stories.  Actually, while I was on my spring break last year, I travelled through Scotland and heard a lot of the stories, which lead me to pick up a Scottish Fairy Tales book while I was in a gift shop at the Battlefield of Culloden.

I have taken the Myth and Folklore version of this class and loved it.  I also took a Roman Religion class, which is the same kind of idea, but with a much more boring setting.  I definitely don’t recommend it if you’re not a history nut.  I know a little bit about Hinduism/Buddhism from a class I have taken before as well as from one of my mother’s friends.  I also just happen to live down the street from the Buddha Mind Monastery in Choctaw, which is gorgeous if you ever get the chance to see it.  I have never been to India, nor do I have any connections to the culture, other than a deep love for their food! I’m excited to learn about their history/religion through the class!


I have heard of Ganesha and Ravana before.  I can’t remember where I learned of Ganesha, but Ravana was mentioned in a series of books that I read. I learned about a few of the Indian Gods while I was in the Myth and Folklore class, but I don’t remember which ones.  I also learned a little bit about the religious practices of the culture in relation to death and grieving in one of my honors classes.  

Image Info: Ganesha. 
Source: Indian Epics

I thought this image was really interesting.  I like the simplicity of it, with the bold lines outlining Ganesha and the words of the Mantra and Yantra weaving throughout the image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment