Sunday, November 13, 2016

Story: Bodisat News


This just in.  The kingdom of Benares was just sold for a single measure of rice.

According to our covert sources, the king of Benares made an error in judgement when appointing the royal valuer this past year.  He was unhappy with the man formerly in this position and fired him on the spot.  The king then chose a random citizen off the streets to fill the vacancy, a man with no experience and no morals.  Apparently, the new valuer assigned values at random, depending on his mood, the weather, and the phases of the moon.  Sources conflict on whether or not this was part of the king’s plan or simply great hubris in believing that he knew what was best for his treasury.

Early this week, a working man approached the valuer to inquire what his herd of horses would be worth to the king.  An arbitrary decision resulted in the value of a single measure of rice in exchange for five hundred horses.  That is correct.  Five hundred horses are now worth a single measure of rice in the eyes of the royal valuer and the eyes of the king himself.  However, the horse-dealer was not satisfied with this deal and came up with a cunning plan.


Yesterday evening, the horse-dealer put his plan into action.  He approached the royal valuer and offered him a bribe, as we are told is custom in this country.  He then asked the valuer to assess the single measure of rice which he had been given for his herd of horses earlier in the week. They then requested an audience with the king of Benares. The horse-dealer told the king that a herd of five hundred horses was worth a measure of rice and requested to know what the value of that measure of rice was. 

Our sources say that the king was unaware of the events that had been transpiring in his kingdom and he foolishly asked his valuer what a single measure of rice was worth in the kingdom of Benares.  Recall now, that the valuer was not a particularly bright individual and he had been bribed by the horse dealer.  As such, his answer to the king was very surprising. 

The valuer judged a single measure of rice to be worth all of Benares, both within and without the walls.  For those unfamiliar with their global geography, the city of Benares spans 12 leagues from wall to wall and the suburbs and lands belonging to the city span a further 300 leagues.  And all of this was only worth a single measure of rice. 

Information is still trickling in about the aftermath of this earth-shattering event.  The entire court was shut down for the duration of a trial and to discuss whether or not the king would be forced to forfeit his kingdom to the horse dealer. 


We will continue to provide you with details regarding Benares throughout the morning.  Stay tuned with News Channel 6. I am Bodisat and I will keep you updated. 


Author's Note:

I chose to rewrite the story The Rice Measure.  I kept the general storyline the same, although I left out the Bodisat’s role in the original story to make him the news announcer. In the story, a peasant is made the royal valuer when the king thinks the Bodisat is costing him too much money with his fair and accurate assessment of the goods that people bring him.  The king appoints a random peasant to be the valuer and he just puts random costs on the goods brought to him, including the herd of 500 horses.  The horse dealer goes to the Bodisat, the former valuer, who helps him come up with a plan to fool the valuer and the king.  In the end, the Bodisat is returned to his position.  There is no mention as to what happens to the horse dealer who only received a measure of rice for his horses, although I assume that the Bodisat reevaluated the herd for him.  I wanted to stretch my writing skills a little this week, which is why I tried to rewrite the story as a news broadcast.  I’m not sure it worked quite as well as I hoped, but well enough for me I guess. 

Bibliography: Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie Shedlock (1920), Baldwin Project.
Image Info: Breaking News. Source: Wikimedia Commons; Brown Rice. Source: Wikimedia Commons

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this story! I think that it was a very clever retelling and you did a great job with it! I like how you wrote it as if it was being read by an anchor on the news. It was very to the point and made the story super easy to understand, which I really appreciate since I'm not too good with intricate stories! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it came out as a great news story! I found it very interesting as this story was actually new to me! I have not read The Rice Measure. But a measure of rice for 500 horses?? What in the world! That is truly insane. It's great that you stretched your writing skills this week, that can be a hard thing to do. I know that I need to do that more in my writings for sure! I loved reading your story, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a really imaginative retelling and a surprisingly good fit! Such important decisions made so arbitrarily would surely be breaking news. I like that you took this opportunity to stretch your writing skills; you've certainly done it well! I generally tend to stay in my comfort zone, but I think that I should also start branching out a little more as far as storytelling techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a unique way to write a story. I haven't read anything quite like it! It almost reminds me of this podcast called Welcome to Night Vale which is made in a similar fashion. Thank you so much for explaining the original story in your author's note because I have not read it. I thought you did such a great job in recreating this into your own format. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Michaela! I really enjoyed the way you told the story as if we were listening to it on the radio or watching it on TV! I also really like the story that you chose to write about! It reminds me of a story where they use a grain of rice and multiply it by itself for every spot on a chess board where it becomes so great they basically have to give a girl the entire food source of a kingdom in India!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michaela! Benares = Varanasi, ok, got it. This was a neat story! I've never read the original, do you mind sharing the link to it? I usually like to go and check out original source stories.
    You were very creative in changing up a few of the details, while still retaining the important points of the story. I love that you expanded your skills by writing from a news story angle, I worked out really well, and read very smoothly. I like that you leave us with "updates to come...." Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there! This was such an interesting story to read. You've done some really creative things here with the source material and so congrats on that front. I think you still do a very good job of staying true to the original source but you still add your own creative flair and voice to the piece. It was really fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how your story had a fun twist to it. It definitely took me by surprise when I read how the horse-dealer decided fight back. I did not expect that he would use the decision of the valuer that his five hundred horses were worth a single grain of rice against him. This component added a funny twist to the story. I am curious as to how it will all end. I enjoyed reading your story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your story! I think you did a wonderful job. I have never read the original story so I have no idea of what this one changed. Even if we have read it, I honestly don't remember. I really like the way it was written as well as the fun twist added to the end! Great joh! I can't wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete