Saturday, November 12, 2016

Reading Notes: Eastern Stories Parts C and D

I finished reading Marie Shedlock’s Eastern Stories and Legends this week.  The stories continued along the same style, telling of the many incarnations of Buddha and the various deeds that he did throughout his lives.  However, this half was not as interesting to read as the first half.  I do not know if I was just not as attentive to the stories or if they just weren’t as entertaining as the stories from last week.  I’m still trying to figure out which story I will retell for the week, which has not happened to me this entire semester.  There has always been one story that I really want to retell or have some great ideas for, but not this week. 


Anyway, I really enjoyed learning about Buddha in such an intriguing way.  The idea of Buddha being reborn again and again in a different societal/natural position is so contrary to the religions that I am more familiar with.  I like that Buddhism is a little more flexible and fluid than religions like Christianity.  It’s more attune to my sensibilities I guess.  It is such a fascinating religion and I am looking forward to learning more about it over these last couple of weeks of the semester. 

Now I just have to figure out a story-retelling to get me through the week so I can move on to the next big thing!

Bibliography: Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie Shedlock (1920), The Baldwin Project.


Image Info: Fo Guang Buddha. Source: Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. I'm always interested to see what other people are reading, and how they're reading is progressing as well as how it is affecting them. This book hasn't come across my radar, so I was happy to read your Reading Notes post about it! It sounds like a really interesting read, and yes, fascinating about the stories about the different incarnations to Buddha. I hope you enjoy exploring more about him as the semester comes to a close! Happy Thanksgiving week, enjoy the foooooooddddd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you go through and write a general review over the whole story. That seems like a good way to get through a whole lot of reading and giving one who summary instead of little bits and pieces and having to stop and writing things down. I could also see how it would be beneficial if you were doing longer stories instead of short stories because then you can remember more about the whole story!

    ReplyDelete