Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reading Notes: Eastern Stories Part A and B

For this week’s reading, I chose Marie Shedlock’s Eastern Stories and Legends.  The readings detail the various incarnations of Buddha, particularly in regards to his many animal incarnations.  I really like these stories.  They are easy to read and remind me of the Aesop Fables that I read in the Myth and Folklore Class.  They have little morals in them, like being kind to those who help you, even if it takes a little creative thinking to discover those morals.  I think they are a really fun and easy-to-read way of learning about the tales of Buddha, which is always great! Buddha’s incarnations are always helpful and kind, even if his companions do not reciprocate the kindness!

I’m trying to push myself as a writer this week.  I almost always retell the story from the perspective of a different character, so I don’t want to do that.  I’m thinking I might try putting one of these stories into the modern day, which will be a bit of a stretch since it’s all about animals.  I’m hoping that it will get me to be more creative and flexible with my writing, since I have to be so rigid and proper with most of my college writing.  I think I might try retelling The Horse that Held Out to the End.  Maybe make the horse into a person? I dunno.  I’ll figure something out!

Image result for destrier

Bibliography: Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie Shedlock (1920), Baldwin Project


Image Info: Destrier. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment