Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Reading A and More Readings: Twenty-Two Goblins, Parts A and F

For my final reading of the semester, I chose Twenty-Two Goblins by Arthur Ryder.  I read a portion of it when I was in the Myth and Folklore class and really enjoyed it, so I returned for some more.  I’m honestly not sure if I’m just rereading the same riddles or not, but I enjoyed them regardless.  They’re so fun and relatively lighthearted.  It’s also kind of fun to try to solve the riddles, although I have yet to get one right.  They’re very twisted and seem to focus more on the moral side of things than the logical side. 


For example, there was one riddle that was trying to determine which brother of three had earned the right to marry the woman that they had resurrected. In the end, the brother who had slept on the ashes of the woman was the one who had earned the right to marry her, which by the way is a little creepy to be doing.  He slept on her ashes in a hut in the cemetery.  That’s some kind of crazy.  Anyway, the other two brothers were acting as a husband and a son, not a lover, so they didn’t get to marry her.  I never would have reasoned it out to that conclusion. 


I would really like to come back to this particular reading after the semester is over to read the rest of the riddles.  I also might us them in some form or another in the future.  It definitely would have been interesting to incorporate these into my Storybook, but unfortunately it’s a little late for that! I’m glad I chose it for my final reading though! End the semester with a bang!

Bibliography: Twenty-Two Goblins by Arthur Ryder (1917), Sacred Texts
Image Info: Old Cemetery. Source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment